Tuesday 14 July 2009

good old rock cakes



These are easy and quick to make. I use a modified Delia Smith recipe, taken from her Book of Cakes - I add more fruit than she suggests. I often find her recipes too sweet for my taste, but I've found that with rock cakes the sugar is needed to give a nice glossy finish. Some people put cherries in their rock cakes, but if you like something with a bit more bite, try dried cranberries.

Measure: 6ozs of plain flour, 6oz wholemeal flour, 6oz butter/ margarine, 6oz soft brown sugar, and 6oz a mixture of dried fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas , mixed peel, cranberries, glace cherries - I usually use 4oz of raisins or sultanas then make up the balance with cranberries. Have ready 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 large egg, a couple of tablespoons of milk, a quarter teaspoon nutmeg, a quarter teaspoon of mixed spice, and a quarter teaspoon of salt ( I often leave reduce the amount of salt).

Get mixing: Sift flours, baking powder, spices and salt. Rub in butter/ margarine until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in whisked egg and one/ two tablespoons of milk until you have a stiffish dough.

Get cooking: Pre heat the oven to 180 deg C. Using a couple of forks, place craggy blobs of the dough onto a lined baking sheet - you will have between 9 and 12 . Bake for 15 - 20 mins until firm and golden, depending on size. Don't overcook or they will be too dry. Leave on the baking sheet for a few minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Make a cup of tea while you are waiting. Relax and enjoy before anyone notices.

Edited to clarify easures in response to comment

5 comments:

  1. This recipe is incomplete as there are values missing from the ingredients. How much sugar and how much butter/marge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anon
    Sorry - should have been clearer. It is actually 6oz of EACH of the flours, sugar and mixed fruits. You can find the original recipe here I'll edit the entry to clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Colleen we are having a family renion on Saturday night and my old Nan always had a tin of rock buns when we went round to see her. We are having a pot luck supper and I thought it wouldnt be complete without Nans rock buns. I followed your recipe tonight to test them out and they are wonderful. Thank you so much cant wait to cook up 60 for Saturday. Nan would have been proud of me!

    Yors sincerely Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue
    Delighted that your trial run was a success. When I'm batch baking for our WI stalls, I generally double up the recipe and it works fine.

    Hope the family reunion goes well.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this great recipe, I have it bookmarked & use it every time I make rock cakes with my daughter. We usually add a bit more fruit & an ounce or so less sugar. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete